Thursday, January 1, 2015

John & Ann (Tyrell) Mott

John Mott was born 1720 in Witham, Essex and died 1828 in Witham Essex, England.
John Mott married Ann Tyrell born 1720.

Together they had 12 children:
 1. Andrew Mott born after 1743 and died before 1849.
 2. Elizabeth Mott born 1745 in Witham, Essex and died 10 August 1762 in Witham, Essex, England.
 3. Ann Mott born 22 January 1747 in Witham, Essex, England.
 4. Mary Mott born 4 March 1749 in Witham, Essex, England.
 5. William Mott born 7 December 1754 in Writtle, Essex, died 16 January 1764 in Witham, Essex.
 6. Thomas Mott born 29 September 1757 in Witham, Essex, and died in Portsmouth, England.
     Thomas married Mary Couzins about 1761 in England.
 7. Mary Mott born 10 February 1759.
 8. John Mott born 2 September 1761 in Writtle and died 20 October 1761 in Witham, Essex.
 9. John Mott born 14 May 1763 in Witham and died 28 June 1763 in Witham, Essex.
10. James Mott born 3 February 1765 in Witham, Essex and died 1823 in Spitalfields, London.
11. Samuel Mott born 1768 in Boxed, Suffok and died 9 January 1855 in Brentwood, England.
12. William Mott born February 1773 in Witham, Essex and died 31 March 1773 in Witham, Essex.

First Lieutenant Andrew Mott

Timeline for Andrew Mott and their source:
Born after 1743 in Witham, Essex, England and died before 1849. British Naval Biographical Dictionary for 1849 lists all living officers. Andrew is not included.  Was there an earlier volume?
No Spouse or children.
1783 (40 years) Navy service. Commissioned Sea Officers of the Royal Navy 1660-1815.
1797 (54 years) In Thames estuary. Quelling the mutiny on the "Sandwich". Lieutenant Mott mentioned in this account - see weblink.
1807 (64 years) The hired armed "Duke of York". Under command of Lieutenant Andrew Mott.
1815 (72 years) First Lieutenant of HMS Bellerophon and personally took the surrender of Napoleon.

It appears that Andrew Luther Mott (1828-1904) inherited Napoleon's 2 pistols from First Lieutenant Andrew Mott. The pistols were ultimately given to John Wesley Mott (1891-1979) as a worthy member of the Mott family. Lieutenant John Wesley Mott won a Military Cross and Distinguished Conduct Medal in WW1. It appears that the widow of J.W.Mott took the pistols to Canberra where they were sold, so they are no longer in the Mott family. Where are they today?

This article was in "The Brisbane Courier" on Saturday 27 August 1927

Napoleon's Pistols in BrisbaneBy Spencer Browne.

Napoleon's Abdication and Flight.  
After Waterloo, after the furious days "when Wellington smashed Bonaparte," Napoleon returned to Paris, hoping to reorganise his shattered forces, to form a new army and fight on. He found, however, a war weary Paris, and a hostile Chamber of Deputies, and sent a delegation, in response to an imperious call, to represent the causes of the loss of the battle of Waterloo, and his proposals for public safety, and for treating with the combined Powers for peace. The Ministers, with Prince Lucien at their head, suggested a committee of five members from each Chamber to discuss the proposals of the Emperor, but they found the Deputies arrogantly hostile, and obviously bent upon an abdication. M. Henry Lacoste said: "The veil is torn aside - our misfortunes are known. You talk to us of peace; but what new basis will you give to your negotiations.
You know as well as we that Europe has declared war against Napoleon alone. Will you hence forth separate the nation from Napoleon? For my part, I declare I see but one man between us and peace. Let him speak and the country will be saved." The Deputies granted the Emperor an hour's grace to declare himself. The Emperor's friends, including Prince Lucien and Prince Joseph, urged that the time for other action had passed, and urged submission, and Napoleon, with an ironical smile, said to the Duke of Orleans: "Write to those gentlemen to make themselves easy; they shall soon be satisfied." and one of the historians tells us: "He then wrote his abdication." But Napoleon insisted that he had only abdicated in favour of his son. The return of Grouchy to France with his army intact, and the rally of the wrecks from the forces of Waterloo, saw the formation of a force of some 50,000 or 60,000 men, and they showed that they still could sting, the Prussians being badly cut up on one occasion; but the French vainly sought an armistice. Blucher would have no armistice, and the so-called treachery of Fouche, of the Prince of Echmuhl, and others, and the practical investment of Paris by the Allies, broke the French spirit or bent it to the Allied will. From the headquarters of the Allies at Hagenau was issued a peremptory note, aimed at the surrender of Napoleon and the ex-Emperor saw that it was time to "up sticks and off."
How Napoleon left France.
It may be said that had it not been for treacheries the French soldiers would have put up a desperate fight for their country as they regarded the situation and for their beloved Napoleon. Much blood shedding on both sides was saved by the firmness of the Allies. The note from their headquarters referred to above ran thus: "The three Powers consider it as an essential condition of peace and real tranquillity that Napoleon Bonaparte shall be incapable of disturbing the peace of Europe in future; and in consequence of the events which occurred in March last (1813), the Powers must insist on Napoleon Bonaparte being placed in their custody. Napoleon, who had left the Imperial Palace as a matter of discretion, and was practically under the guardianship of General Beker, at Malmaison, had moved on to Rochefort, and on the day after the Prussians surrounded the palace where the Government held its sittings (July 8), Louis XVIII returned in triumph and took possession of his capital and throne." 
Napoleon went on board the frigate La Saale, with his suite on the Medusa, and anchored at the Isle of Aix. On July 10, an English fleet of eleven vessels was seen cruising within sight of the port, and on July 11 Napoleon sent to inquire of the British Admiral whether he was authorised to allow him liberty to go to England or the United States, and the answer from the Admiral was that he was ready to receive Napoleon and convey him to England. Dissatisfied with such a reply, history tells us, Napoleon had some idea of going on board an American vessel at the mouth of the Gironde, "whose captain would be most happy and proud to have received him." and also, "He also refused the proffered assistance of some young midshipmen full of courage and devotion, who, with two barks, swore they would forfeit their lives if they did not convey him to New York." Napoleon evidently was reluctant to be taken to the bosom of the American Republic, and decided for England. He sent a message to the British Admiral that on the following day he would go on board his vessel, and on July 15 he went off in the brig L'Epervier, and was received on board the H.M.S. Bellerophon with the honours due to his military rank."
Surrender to Captain Maitland.
It is clear from the account of Captain Maitland, of the Bellerophon that the honours were not paid to Napoleon when he first boarded that ship. Maitland, in his despatch on the surrender, said: "At break of day on July 15, 1815, L'Epervier French brig-of-war, was discovered under sail standing out towards the ship with a flag of truce up; and at the same time the Superb, bearing Sir Henry Hotham's flag, was seen in the offing. By half-past five the ebb tide failed, the wind was blowing right in, and the brig, which was within a mile of us, made no further progress, while the Superb was advancing with the wind and tide in her favour. Thus situated, and being most anxious to terminate the affair I had brought so near to a conclusion previous to the Admiral's arrival, I sent off Mr. Mott, the first lieutenant, in a barge, who returned soon after 6 o'clock, bringing Napoleon with him."   That brief historical sketch probably will revive the memories of folk who have not recently studied the Napoleonic career, and it is a prelude to a very interesting circumstance which has a close Queensland association.
Napoleon's Pair of Pistols.  
A few days ago I went with Mr. W. T. Mott, of Laura-street, South Brisbane, to the safe deposit vaults of the Queensland Trustees. Ltd., and there he showed me, and allowed me the great pleasure of handling and making a close inspection of a pair of pistols, most carefully preserved. They are old  flintlocks of a heavy calibre, and on the base of the stock each is the letter "N", with a crown and laurel wreath. These were presented by Napoleon at the time of his surrender in 1815 to the late Commander Andrew Mott, of H.M.S. Bellerophon, and they were "shown at the Naval Exhibition at Chelsea in 1891." by A. L. Mott, Esquire, R.X.E.  A certificate which endorses their bona fides, if that were necessary, seeing that they have not been out of the possession of the Mott family since they were presented to Commander Mott of the Bellerophon in 1815 is signed by Albert Edward J?, (the late King Edward, then Prince of Wales), and by Admiral W. M'Dowell. 
In the early days of the recent Great War. a young authorised surveyor, J. W. Mott, who was then on the Daly River, Northern Territory, came to Brisbane and enlisted in the 7th Field Engineers. Prior to gaining a commission overseas, he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, and then as a lieutenant he won the Military Cross. On going over to England on leave from France, the young soldier's relatives considered that he was well entitled to be the family holder of the pistols given by the great Napoleon to their relative, Commander Andrew Mott, who took the ex-Emperor from L'Epervier, and conveyed him to his formal surrender on the Bellerophon.
It was the father of Lieutenant J. W. Mott. M.C.. D.C.M., who showed me the pistols in Brisbane.  Mr. W. T. Mott is well known in Brisbane, having been for many years in the Public Service, and is the son of the late J. W. Mott, formerly a contractor in a big way, who came to Brisbane in 1893. It is doubtful if there is a more interesting, souvenir of war in the Commonwealth than this brace of pistols, which we may assume were carried in the holsters of the great military genius. Napoleon and the bent "grips" of which were so often in his hands. Their owner, Mr. J. W. Mott, is an authorised surveyor, practising at Bundaberg. It was an agreement with his father, Mr. W. T. Mott, that I should not "bring the young follow into the limelight."
I have had to mention him in connection with the Napoleon souvenir, as a historical necessity, and he must patiently bear the publicity.

John Wesley Mott 1891-1979

Were the pistol's that Napoleon surrendered to Lieutenant Andrew Mott like these?

These pistols below belonged to Napoleon and were presented to United States Military Academy January 1927 by Mr.Lawrence V. Benet in memory of his father the late Brigadier General Stephen Vincent Benet, U.S.M.A.Graduate, Professor of Ordnance & Gunnery and later Chief of Ordnance.  The Professor had charge of the Museum for many years which may be the reason the pistols came to United States. There is no information on Museum files as to how Mr.Benet acquired the pistols but the implication of the language on the catalogue entries is that while Mr.Benet gave them in his father's honour, there is no indication that General Benet owned them at any time.  It must be concluded that Lawrence Benet acquired them on his own, somehow. Lawrence Benet was engaged in manufacturing the Hotchkiss Machine gun in France and presumably was in France for the purpose about the time of WW1.  Otherwise, other than the name Benet, clearly French, I can find no specific connection to Napoleon and Lieutenant Andrew Mott.

Napoleon's monogram "N" was engraved on a shield on the grip.

Nicholas Noel Boutet (1761 - 1833) was French and Napoleon's personal gunsmith. His name can be seen on these pistols. Some of Boutet's pistols are on display in Paris at the Army Museum.

Napoleon's pistols as displayed in West Point Museum, New York

Two of Napoleon's pistols donated January 1927 by Mr. Lawrence Benet in memory of his father the late Brigadier General Stephen Vincent Benet are currently on display at West Point Museum, New York, along with Napoleon's sword which was given to General Dwight Eisenhower by General Charles de Gaulle in 1945.

You may wish to take a look at and go to Post "A tribute to Napoleon - 200 years on". It is interesting that the Mott family had a connection with Napoleon's surrender at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 and the Moss family lived on the island of St Helena while Napoleon was exiled there in 1815.

If you have anything to add, a correction or comment, please contact the author of this blog, 
Joy Olney via email -

No comments:

Post a Comment